Partner Visa (Temporary & Permanent)

What is a Partner Visa?

A partner visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia. Applying for this visa is split into two separate segments. The initial stage is the partner temporary (subclass 820/309), followed by the partner permanent (subclass 801/100) stage. Although the application is made together, you’ll be granted these visas separately. Additionally, it is important to note that the subclass you apply for will depend on your location at the time of visa application.

Visa subclass include:

• Partner Visa (Subclass 309/100 – Offshore)
• Partner Visa (Subclass 820/801 – Onshore)

Key requirements:

• Partner must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
• Must satisfy the legal requirements for being a sponsor
• Provide evidence of continuous and genuine relationship

What if you are engaged to be married?

There is a pathway for engaged couple who are planning to get married soon. Based on your recent engagement and prospect of marriage, you may choose to apply for Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300). However, this is a temporary visa  and valid for only nine months. During this time, you must get married to your sponsor if you wish to transition into the partner visas above. Also, you must be outside Australia when you lodge your application and when the visa is granted. Additionally, you can have the wedding in any country as the wedding does not need to be in Australia. Finally, after the wedding you will be eligible to apply for Partner visa to stay permanently in Australia.

If you are planning to apply for a partner visa or the prospective marriage visa, use the contact form below for a free 30 minutes consultation.

Please note that for the Migration purpose, same-sex and opposite-sex couple are included in the definition of partners or de facto.